Monday, September 7, 2009


My piece is about how easily beauty can come and go. When I first decided to make a dress for my project I didn't really have a reason behind it. I was up for the challenge of making a paper dress even knowing it would be harder than it would with fabric.
The morning of critique as I was walking to class my top and bottom pieces fell apart. As I got closer to class my piece just started falling apart at the seams and thats how I got the new meaning behind my project. Something that is beautiful may not always stay that way. While it lasts it should be cherished but when it starts to deteriorate there needs to be something that can take it's place; such as a sense of humor or a great personality. Just like how my project needed to have a strong foundation to hold it up even when the outside started to crumble.
I used foil, newspaper, paper from utrects, tulle, wire, and ribbon for my project. For the bottom I used newspaper as a main foundation and then paper mached over it. In between layers of newspaper I put a frame of wire to keep it sturdy. Underneath I added a few layers of tulle for an added touch.
For the top I made a foil mold then paper mached newspaper to the inside so the foil wouldn't scrape on the skin. I paper mached pink paper over the outside of the foil a few times and I added tulle right around the bustline.

No comments:

Post a Comment