Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chapter 3


The overall idea behind this piece was the ignorance and lack of objectivity found in society. People bury themselves so much in one point of view that they fail to view the issues of the world with a sense of open-mindedness. All of the materials used act as symbols to convey this concept. I paper mached over a mannequin head and used a saw to cut a hole through a book, and then inserted the head into the book. I then drilled a book into the back of the head. I also added hair cut from the mannequin and used it as a bookmark for the book. I chose these materials because they assisted the best in conveying my concept and offered a powerful image to compliment the idea.

Materials: Newspaper, glue, Reader's Digest Condensed Books Vol. 4, The Nun's Story by Kathryn Hulme, Mannequin head
Size: approx. 12" x 12"

No comments:

Post a Comment